File a Claim

Find out about the City’s claim process, download forms and review frequently asked questions.

  1. File a Claim for Damages
  2. How to File a Claim
  3. Frequently Asked Questions

All claims for Damages may be submitted using this online form for the City of Lynwood, through the Lynwood Online Portal. Claims are processed by the Human Resources Department. If you experience difficulties completing the online form or have any questions regarding how to file your claim for damages, please review the claims webpage for important information on the claims process.

Pursuant to the California Government Tort Claims Act (Government Code sections 810-996.6), a claim must be filed if you are seeking money or damages from the City or one of its employees. With very limited exceptions, no lawsuit for money damages may be brought against the City or its employees unless a written claim has been properly filed with the City. Claims for death, injury to person or to personal property must be presented to the City within (6) months from the date of loss (Government Code Section 911.2). Claims related to any other loss must be presented to the City no later than one year from the date of loss (Government Code Section 911.2(a)).

Warning: This is not intended as legal advice. You should consult with an attorney to determine the time period for filing either a claim or a lawsuit.


Contact Us

If you have further questions that were not addressed above, or you are concerned about the status of your claim, contact the Human Resources Department via email, or by phone at 310-603-0220, ext. 221.

Warning: The Human Resources Office cannot provide you with legal advice, or advise you on how to complete a claim form. If you have any questions about how or when to file a claim and/or lawsuit, please consult with an attorney.